Friday, April 4, 2014

These Are Not the Pens You're Looking For: The Pelikan M100

The Stormtrooper.


I call it my Stormtrooper pen. I can't help it. It's just so...Stormtrooper-ey. To normal people, it is probably going to be better known as the Pelikan M100. When I saw the pen available for less than $60, I could no sooner pass it up than Luke Skywalker could fly by a Death Star without destroying it. I tend to be a sucker for the unique (and for Pelikan, who just so happens to be my favorite manufacturer). 

What do you mean you guessed Pelikan was my favorite brand? Cheater!

It is, I believe, the smallest and lightest fountain pen in Pelikan's M series. I included some photos of it next to the M400 and M800 in an effort to help show some scale. The closest pen I have to compare to is the TWSBI Mini, which has a significantly larger girth and is noticeable heavier. The M100 is 4 and 13/16 inches (121mm) long capped and 5 and 7/8 inches (147mm) long posted. The mid-body diameter is a meager 7/16 of an inch (11mm). It's not exactly a heavyweight, either: weighing in at only 0.4 oz (11.3g) when it's been freshly inked up. 

The Sovereign (M800), the Master (M400), and the Emperor (M100).

What really gets me on this pen is the black nib and trim, but especially the nib. It just ties it together way better than a silver or gold nib would. Even the smokey gray ink window turns black once it's full of ink. It all just works for me, although my wife is less than a fan of the colors. 

Speaking of the nib, its size is different than that of the 18K gold nibs I have experienced. The gold nibs run about a size larger. The black medium M100 nib writes more like my gold fine nib than the medium gold nib. Also, the steel nib is much much more flexy than its gold cousins, though I'm doubtful that it qualifies as a true flex nib. 

A nib comparison.

The nib alignment was a bit off when I got it, but a tiny bit of careful alignment improved the performance by a leap and maybe two bounds. I'm not convinced I have it perfectly tuned, but it's pretty stinkin' close. It's not as glassy smooth as the gold nib and has a whisper of friction as it glides across the paper with Lamy Turquoise acting as the lubricant, but it is pretty smooth and I rather like the sound and feel of it. 

It's really a black-and-white issue.

There are really only two things I wish Pelikan had done differently with this pen, and they are both purely cosmetic. The firsthand more minor thing is that I think a black band at the base of the plunger screw would have completed the looks of the pen and helped look more visually balanced overall. The second and more important thing to me is that I wish they had put a black paint or resin in the impressed Pelikan insignia at the top of the cap. That would really make it pop, especially when it's peeking out of a pocket or something. The way it is it's pretty difficult to see. 

The boring Pelikan logo.

Aside from those two things, the only thing that could be a pain - depending upon how OCD you are - is that the threads are white and show every bit of debris and might need cleaned out regularly. That's not really a design flaw though. It's pretty unavoidable in my opinion. 

Those pesky white threads.


Oh, and also, if you like to be able to write to infinity and beyond (wait - that's a completely different space story) without refilling, this one won't quite do it. It holds plenty of ink for me and I think it's great for a daily user, but others may disagree. But really, those are the only negative things I can say about the pen. I like it that much. If I had the choice to buy one at a good price, and if I were you, I'd do it.

Unless these aren't the pens you are looking for. Then you can go about your business.

Move along, move along.













































Price: 10/10
Durability: 8/10 (It's not built to take abuse.)
Function: 10/10
Form: 10/10
Overall: 38/10 = 95% for an A

No comments:

Post a Comment